Metal braces of the past were known for being clunky, awkward, and uncomfortable to wear. Fortunately, today’s conventional braces are far sleeker and cause less irritation to the gums and inside of the mouth. After the patients’ custom treatment plan is created, metal or ceramic brackets are glued to each tooth using a strong but safe dental adhesive. Dr. Nelson developed and perfected a process called Precision Bracket Placement, (PBP), where he uses a model of the teeth to decide the most precise and effective placement for brackets to move teeth. Brackets are then placed on the teeth using the model as a guide and initial tooth movement is much more exact and shortens treatment time. To learn more about our conventional braces, please contact our office!
Modern Conventional Braces
Trinity Orthodontics offers three excellent choices for patients who want to utilize conventional braces to straighten their smiles.
- Metal Braces use metal brackets, and patients can choose what color elastics they would like to surround each bracket, which are changed out during in-person appointments.
- Ceramic Braces use ceramic brackets, which are less noticeable than metal brackets. Ceramic braces are just as effective as metal braces, but they are more discreet.
How do you take care of metal braces?
It’s especially important for patients wearing metal braces to practice good oral hygiene at home to reduce their risk for developing tooth decay and other issues. Patients should also avoid very sticky foods like taffy, caramel, and gum, which can be difficult to remove from brackets and wires and can damage them. Crunchy foods like apples and carrots can be enjoyed in moderation if they are cut into small pieces and chewed with the molars. Our team would be happy to go over the best practices for brushing and flossing teeth with braces, and we can answer any questions you may have in regards to your specific diet and lifestyle.
Should I choose metal braces or clear aligner therapy?
The orthodontic treatment that you choose will ultimately depend on your specific wants and needs. In rare cases, patients may have very unique orthodontic issues that require metal braces. Clear aligner therapy comes with more responsibility, as patients have to commit to wearing their aligners as often as possible and keep track of them. If you know you frequently misplace things, or you just want a non-removable orthodontic treatment to straighten your smile 24/7, metal braces are a great choice. If you are still unsure of which option to choose, please schedule a consultation with our team, and we will be happy to help.Schedule Consultation
The Cutting-Edge Orthodontic Practice
If you choose traditional braces using metal brackets and wires, we use a precision bracket placement, PBP, system. PBP uses advanced placement and custom modeling techniques, which results in more precise tooth movement and shorter treatment times.
Precision Bracket Placement Fact Sheet
PBP is a system whereby the doctor directly places braces on models of the patient’s teeth, not directly on the teeth where the lips, tongue, and poor lighting can make it difficult to accurately place braces. This technique improves the precision of tooth movement. Treatment times are greatly reduced compared to traditional direct bonded braces.
- Use of diagnostic models allows for accurate bracket placement.
- Brackets are embedded into a custom, fabricated tray that allows all at once bonding and improved accuracy in initial bracket placement.
- Improved patient comfort compared to individually direct bonded brackets; much less time in the dental chair.
- More precise tooth movement; fewer adjustments needed.
- Reduced treatment time compared to traditional braces: 14 to 18 months on average.
- Less risk of tooth decay due to reduced treatment times
- Very rarely need to remove any permanent teeth.
- Great results—guaranteed!
Get more for your money with PBP from Trinity Orthodontics. Although these braces require technically difficult lab procedures, Trinity’s pricing for PBP treatment is comparable to traditional direct bonded braces. Why choose traditional braces for three or more years when you can choose the more comfortable, more accurate, and significantly shorter treatment option? Contact our office today to learn more about PBP and how it can help you achieve a straighter smile quickly and effectively.Schedule Consultation